Today's Word

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Whither goes thou?

Whither goes thou? I remember reading this phrase somewhere, but cannot remember where. Probably The Hindu, where I learned most of my English. Whither, for the uninformed, means, "where to", and is not use in everyday English.

To answer my own question, I do not know. Maybe I will start pondering the meaning of life, and thinking of a good answer to this question twenty or thirty years down the road of life, but I am penning my thoughts now for my memory, which, I suspect would become progressively leaky over time. Time is the great healer, one hears people say, but, sir, time also deletes many things as part of this acclaimed healing process. A small digression here, if I may. The 'sir' in the previous sentence is a mere expression, and not sexist in anyway. I am afraid I have to clarify this right away, or I would be assailed by a bevy of people beginning with my dear sisters! That 'sir' (again) is the nature of this world today. One must not in the least insinuate that the fairer sex is weaker in any way, lest be verbally assailed by all and sundry.

You might wonder what I am trying to convey here. Quite frankly, I am still trying to figure that one out. I was filled with this irresistible urge to write something, after witnessing my colleagues blogging away to glory. Well, me too! Also, starting on philosophy, which is a profound topic on a good day, guarantees that one can let one's thoughts wander all over this world and how many more there are out there.

Whither goes thou? I really do not know. Maybe I will, one day, and I hope to be young enough to write something in whatever technology that advanced age spawns.

See you soon..!!

No comments: